Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Here I am...Is God calling you?

1 Samuel 3:3-10 NLT "The lamp of God had not yet gone out, and Samuel was sleeping in the Tabernacle near the Ark of God. Suddenly the Lord called out, “Samuel!”
“Yes?” Samuel replied. “What is it?”
He got up and ran to Eli. “Here I am. Did you call me?”
“I didn’t call you,” Eli replied. “Go back to bed.” So he did.
Then the Lord called out again, “Samuel!”
Again Samuel got up and went to Eli. “Here I am. Did you call me?”
“I didn’t call you, my son,” Eli said. “Go back to bed.”
Samuel did not yet know the Lord because he had never had a message from the Lord before.
So the Lord called a third time, and once more Samuel got up and went to Eli. “Here I am. Did you call me?”
Then Eli realized it was the Lord who was calling the boy.
So he said to Samuel, “Go and lie down again, and if someone calls again, say, ‘Speak, Lord, your servant is listening.’” So Samuel went back to bed.
And the Lord came and called as before, “Samuel! Samuel!”
And Samuel replied, “Speak, your servant is listening.”

In this passage of scripture, Samuel learned the voice of God.  This was the first time that God spoke to Samuel and the first three times the Lord called his name, Samuel didn't recognize His voice.  The scripture tells us in verse 7 that Samuel did not yet know the Lord because he had never had a message from the Lord before.

How easy is it to miss God speaking to us?!  Here are some reasons we may miss God speaking to us:
1. We don't know His voice.
2. The way in which He speaks to us is unexpected.
3. We don't know God.

The scripture tells us that God reveals himself by His Word.  We cannot know God's word unless we study and live it.  When we learn God's Word, we learn His voice. (John 10:4)  When we learn God's Word and His voice, spiritual discernment will help us to know and understand when God is speaking to us.

My prayer is that we as God's people, learn His word and His ways so that we may not miss the message that He is giving to us!  As you go throughout your day today, may your heart and spirit be sensitive to God's voice and where He is leading you!

No comments:

Post a Comment