Sunday, January 3, 2016

You Hear What You Want to Hear

I’m always amazed at how my toddler and kindergartener seem to have trouble hearing me call their names from time to time. Maybe it’s because they know I’m about to ask them to do something they don’t want to do. Turn off the television. Clean their rooms. Pick up their toys. Get ready for a bath. Get ready for naptime or bedtime.

However, I never have problems getting their attention when it comes to snacks. The same deaf ear that needed to hear their names twenty times just ten minutes before doesn’t even require a call to them when they hear the pantry door opening. The rattling of a bag of potato chips or the rumbling of a bag of goldfish always seems to grab their attention instantly, without me saying a word. Sometimes it’s almost as if they can sense that I’m near the pantry before they make a beeline to my side making snack requests.

I laugh at the thought of this but it reminds me of us as children of God. When it comes to the voice of God leading us to do things that we’re uncomfortable with, we’re hesitant. That hesitant spirit will often dissipate if the calling was for something we’ve been praying for or something we deem we need from God. My mom often had a saying, “You hear what you want to hear,” when I didn’t do what she asked of me.

I encourage you to join me in committing to moving with same haste to the voice of God regardless of what He is asking of us. Let’s choose to be obedient and willing to follow the Word and Ways of God.


Prayer: Heavenly Father, I often fall short when it comes to being obedient to Your voice. I ask that You give me a willing heart to follow You in everything, whether I am uncomfortable or content. I want to be all that You desire of me. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment