Friday, May 3, 2013

What Does the Lord Require?

Micah 6:8 NIV He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.

I mentioned earlier this week that the Holy Spirit speaks to me a lot when I'm dealing with my two-year old. I'm often reminded of how much more God loves me and is so much more patient with me when I'm not acting the way that I should.

If you've had children, you know how most two-year olds are! Stubborn!  There are many times when I'm trying to get her to do something and she just really isn't cooperating.  Well, one particular day, I think I may have been asking her to pick up something off the floor. She continued to be stubborn with her usual "no's" and "I did it already" but then she turned right around and asked for a snack or to watch something on tv. I can't quite remember because this is pretty constant. She's usually asking to watch Mickey Mouse, The Princess and the Frog or some other Disney show. If it isn't that, the request is for something like a freeze pop, Cheetos, etc.

Back to the story: So we're in the kitchen and she's being rebellious but yet she wanted whatever it was she was requesting at the time. I said to her: "You cannot continue to be disobedient and expect to get what you ask for all the time!" Immediately, it was as if I heard the Lord repeating those exact same words to me! However, He reminded me of His faithfulness and mercy to me even when I don't deserve it!

Oftentimes, we are not being the person whom God has called us to be and yet we continue to ask Him to bless us and do all of these things for us in our lives.  Although, God often grants our requests when we haven't done what we're supposed to do, our scripture today reminds us of what is required of us.   There are also many scriptures throughout the bible that reminds us that God wants our obedience.  When our prayers aren't answered, we should also check ourselves to make sure that we are doing all that God has called us to do!

I pray that as you go about your day today, you truly seek to be obedient and think about how faithful and kind the Lord is to you even when you do not deserve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment