Monday, November 16, 2020

Shhhhhh!

Then many warned him to be quiet; but he cried out all the more, "Son of David, have mercy on me!" (Mark 10:48 NKJV)

But he cried out all the more... I could not get the image of a crying baby out of my mind as I read this. If you have any experience with babies, at some point, you've tried to console them with a shhhh and cradle rock, but the child kept crying (probably louder) because it had a need that hadn't been met. 

Now in the above Scripture reference, blind Bartimaeus cried louder despite those around him trying to keep him quiet, because, like that image of a crying child, his need hadn't been met. This thought lingered in my heart for a while. What or who do I allow to shush me? What about you?

Could it be people? The current environment trying to make me believe that God doesn't care? My sin that screams I don't deserve God's mercy? Unbelief that God will do what I ask?

There are many internal and external things that attempt to grab us by the throat and force our silence. But not today, satan! I encourage you to push past anything that wants to quiet you! If you continue reading Mark 10, Jesus asked Bartimaeus, What do you want Me to do for you?" (Mark 10:51) Bartimaeus asked for his sight and Jesus granted it to him with the response, "Go your way; your faith has made you well." (Mark 10:52)

What if Bartimaeus had gotten quiet when the folks around him tried to shush him? Tucked his head between his legs and allowed Jesus to walk on by? What if he'd never shown his faith? He would have remained blind.

The enemy wants you to remain quiet and keep your faith to yourself because in doing so, God doesn't get any glory. My friend, allow your faith to make you well - live it and cry out all the more!

No comments:

Post a Comment