Thursday, March 26, 2020

You must go

  Jeremiah 1:5-9 NLT "I knew you before I formed you in your mother’s womb. Before you were born I set you apart and appointed you as my prophet to the nations.” “O Sovereign Lord,” I said, “I can’t speak for you! I’m too young!” The Lord replied, “Don’t say, ‘I’m too young,’ for you must go wherever I send you and say whatever I tell you.  And don’t be afraid of the people, for I will be with you and will protect you. I, the Lord, have spoken!”  Then the Lord reached out and touched my mouth and said, “Look, I have put my words in your mouth! Today I appoint you to stand up against nations and kingdoms. Some you must uproot and tear down, destroy and overthrow. Others you must build up and plant.”

As I meditated on these verses this morning, I couldn't help but think about the virus that plagues our nation at this very moment. I'd honestly rather hear less about it, but its news is everywhere I turn and affecting so many people. It can be downright depressing. However, the great news is that none of this surprises God.

As we learn in today's verse, He knew us before we were even formed in our mother's womb. (Take a moment and meditate on that fact.) Before my mom conceived me, God knew me, my decisions, and the person I would turn out to be. Considering that He knew me, tiny me, in the midst of this great universe, surely He knew that this virus would come. He knows what we have to go through and when/how this will all end. Even as we all go through this together, we have to remember that we, God's children, have been appointed to speak life and to keep our hope in Him, regardless of what we see around us.

Though you may have an excuse for why you can't speak up for God, perhaps like Jeremiah, you think you're too young or too old, not enough knowledge of God's Word, or too shy, know that God will give you the words to say. By no means am I advocating misquoting scripture or trying to come up with things to say, but I believe that in the right timing, God will give you the right words for the person(s) they're meant for. Today's Scripture is a great reminder that God will put words in our mouths! As God's children, this is certainly time for us to be light in this dark world.

Prayer: Father God, thank You for Your goodness and mercy. Thank you for your sovereignty. Even in the midst of this chaos, we will still praise Your name because You are worthy. Guide us so that we may be the light of the world and the salt of the earth that You have called us to be. Strengthen us in Your truth that You are all-knowing and all power is still in Your hands. Protect Your children with Your Holy hands. In Jesus' name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment